Applying for a licence may seem like a daunting task. We’re here to walk you through this process and provide support when needed.
It is important to consult the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 as you move through the application process.
Who needs one
The Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (called “the Act” throughout this section) sets out the legal standards and requirements for all retirement homes to operate safely and successfully. Under the Act, all homes defined as a “retirement home” must apply for and obtain a licence. Retirement homes that operate without a licence may be subject to enforcement measures, which could include monetary penalties and up to and including imprisonment. All homes are required to post their licence in a place where it is easily seen in the retirement home. A “retirement home” for the purposes of the Act is as follows:
A building or related group of buildings, or a part of a building or a part of a related group of buildings, with one or more rental units of living accommodation that meets the following criteria:
- Occupied primarily by persons who are 65 years or older;
- Occupied or intended to be occupied by at least six persons who are not related to the operator of the home;
- Makes at least two of the 13 care services set out in the Act (and listed below) available, directly or indirectly, to residents.
“Care services” for the purposes of the Act are as follows:
- Administration of a drug
- Assistance with bathing
- Assistance with dressing
- Assistance with ambulation
- The provisions of a dementia care program
- Any service that a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario provides while engaging in the practice of medicine
- Any service that a member of the Ontario College of Pharmacists provides while engaging in the practice of pharmacy
- Assistance with feeding
- Continence care
- Assistance with personal hygiene
- Provisions of a meal
- The provision of a skin and wound care program
- Any service that a member of the College of Nurses of Ontario provides while engaging in the practice of nursing
Understanding the legislation
Learn more about the standards retirement homes must meet under the new law.
Plain Language Guide
This guide explains the standards set out in the Act. Remember that it is an overview and you are still encouraged to consult the Act and its regulations.