The RHRA Compliance Assistance Modules (CAMs) are designed to support homes with voluntary compliance and provide operators with a thorough understanding of the legal, regulatory and inspection framework for operating a retirement home. We worked with Algonquin College Corporate Training and ILS Canada to design the CAMs program and to ensure that the modules meet the highest standards in adult education. Participation is voluntary and there is no cost.
We invite you and your staff to use this valuable learning tool in the manner best suited for your home.
- Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) – This module provide operators and licensees with a thorough understanding of their obligations under the Act as it relates to IPAC, as well as the recommended practices to help ensure that their IPAC program is robust and serves as one of the key defences against outbreaks. Duration: 90 minutes.
- Behaviour Management – This module focus on how to prevent and address behaviours that pose a risk to the resident or others in retirement homes, how to intervene when a resident demonstrates such behaviours, as well as when this behaviour requires heightened monitoring. Duration: 60 minutes.
- Complaints – This module presents familiar, day-to-day scenarios to test participants’ understanding of how complaints should be received and acted on. Duration: 30 minutes.
- Assessments and Plans of Care – This module provides participants with an understanding of how to comply with the regulations on assessments and plans of care. Duration: 30 minutes.
- Emergency Planning – This module guides participants through the key steps necessary to develop a compliant emergency plan by focusing on four key areas including creating a plan, collaborating with community partners, training staff and volunteers, and testing the plan. Duration: 30 minutes. Please note the Emergency Planning CAM does not currently incorporate the epidemic/pandemic requirements which came into effect on March 16, 2022. For full emergency plan requirements, please refer to sections 24, 25 and 26 of Ontario Regulation 166/11.
Transcripts and Compliance Assistance Guidelines
Emergency Planning Manual Please note the Emergency Planning CAM Manual does not currently incorporate the epidemic/pandemic requirements which came into effect on March 16, 2022. For full emergency plan requirements, please refer to sections 24, 25 and 26 of Ontario Regulation 166/11.
The RHRA has created Compliance Assistance Modules to provide licensees with assistance in understanding the expectations related to compliance with the Retirement Homes Act, 2010 (the Act) and Ontario Regulation 166/11 (The Regulation). Please note:
- Compliance Assistance Modules are designed to assist operators in understanding the requirements of select portions of the Act and Regulation. They are not, and do not replace, the home-specific training that is required by the Act and Regulation.
- Information, directions, and recommendations included in the CAMs are for general assistance only, and should be read in conjunction with the Act and Regulation. The CAM covers only select aspects of the Act and Regulation, and in the event of any conflict between the CAM and the Act and/or Regulation, the Act and/or Regulation prevails.
- The CAM may be changed at any time without notice.
- Licensees should consult the Act and Regulation for current legislation and compliance requirements.
- The CAMs do not constitute legal advice and users should consult their own legal counsel for the purposes of interpreting the Act and Regulation.